An auto accident can have a devastating impact on your body, health, property, and even life — and it can happen in a split second. If you or someone you love was injured in an auto accident, you could be entitled to monetary compensation for personal injuries and other damages.
Peters Law Firm is dedicated to helping Honey Creek, IA, drivers relieve the stress and pain they experience after a car accident. Our firm provides the expert legal guidance you need to get the compensation you’re entitled to under Iowa law.
Contact Peters Law Firm online or call (712) 328-3157 to schedule an initial consultation about your Iowa auto accident today.
Understanding Auto Accidents in Honey Creek, IA
Iowa drivers travel millions of miles each year and experience nearly 50,000 accidents. About 200 of those accidents result in one or more fatalities and over 13,000 result in injury. Driver error is the most common cause of auto accidents in Iowa, which typically includes:
- Distracted drivers who use cell phones or other devices, talk with passengers, daydream, eat, or apply makeup while behind the wheel.
- Speeding drivers who lose control of their car, particularly at curves or on narrow roads, putting everyone else on the road at great risk.
- Drunk drivers who may engage in reckless driving, fall asleep behind the wheel, or have slower reaction times.
- Drowsy drivers who are so tired they can’t react appropriately to road dangers. Accidents that involve drivers who fall asleep often result in fatalities for both vehicles.
- Aggressive drivers who drive too close to other cars, cut off other vehicles, or shout, gesture, or physically threaten other drivers.
- Poor road conditions like icy or wet conditions, construction work, and potholes can all cause an auto accident.
Schedule a consultation with a Peters Law Firm attorney today to learn more about what to do after an auto accident in Iowa.
Common Car Accident Injuries
The injuries drivers, passengers, and pedestrians suffer in automobile accidents vary and can include:
- Broken bones
- Cuts, scrapes, and bruises
- Head, neck, and spinal injuries
- Internal bleeding
- Lifelong disabilities
- Psychological trauma
Under Iowa law, if you’re involved in an auto accident, you’re entitled to seek compensation for everything from present and future medical bills to rehabilitative services, lost wages, and personal property damage. You might also qualify for compensation for mental pain and suffering, loss of consortium, and loss of enjoyment of life.
Iowa Auto Accident Law
Iowa is what’s known as a “modified comparative fault” state. That means that as long as you’re not the more at-fault party, there are few restrictions on auto accident compensation. Iowa law imposes a two-year limit for filing a personal injury lawsuit and a five-year limit on filing a lawsuit for property damage. The state’s minimum liability requirements include:
- Bodily injury or death: $20,000
- Bodily injury or death of two or more people: $40,000
- Property damages: $15,000
If you or a loved one is injured in an auto accident in Iowa, you have three options:
- Filing a claim through your insurance provider
- Filing a third-party claim through the other driver or drivers’ insurance companies
- Filing a lawsuit
Consulting with an experienced auto accident attorney ensures you get the proper guidance you need to recover the full compensation you’re entitled to.
For sound legal advice following an auto accident in Iowa, contact Peters Law Firm today to schedule a confidential consultation.