Auto Accident Attorneys in Lincoln, NE
A motor vehicle accident can have a devastating impact, costing you the loss of property, time, health, and even life. If you or a loved one has been injured in a car accident, you may be entitled to monetary compensation for injuries and damages.
Peters Law Firm is the trusted ally Lincoln, NE, drivers can rely on to provide the legal guidance they need to get the compensation they’re owed. We define ourselves by our clients’ success!
Contact Peters Law Firm online or call (712) 328-3157 today to schedule an initial consultation about your vehicle accident.
Understanding Auto Accidents in Lincoln, NE
Nearly 40,000 car accidents occur in Nebraska each year, and nearly half of them result in injuries. The most common cause of auto accidents in the state is driver error and include:
- Distracted driving, including texting, eating, talking with others in the car, applying makeup, daydreaming, and using a hand-held cell phone.
- Drunk driving, which causes slower reaction times, reckless driving such as speeding and falling asleep at the wheel.
- Drowsy drivers. Tired drivers are less able to notice and react to road dangers. If they fall asleep, the outcome can be fatal for them and other drivers.
- Speeding puts everyone on the road at great risk. Drivers who speed often lose control of their vehicle, especially on narrow roads or curves. If you speed, you also have less time to react to sudden road events.
- Aggressive driving, including tailgating, driving too close to other vehicles, cutting off other cars, and shouting or gesturing at other drivers.
- Poor road conditions like icy roads, potholes, construction work, and wet surfaces with ponding are all challenging conditions that can cause accidents.
Teen and elderly drivers have an increased chance of being in an accident due to their inexperience behind the wheel or an age-related decline in reaction abilities or eyesight.
Schedule a consultation with a Peters Law Firm attorney today to learn more about what to do after a car accident.
Common Car Accident Injuries
Vehicle injuries range from minor fender benders to severe lifelong disabilities. They include:
- Broken bones
- Head injuries
- Internal bleeding
- Psychological trauma
- Scrapes, cuts & bruises
- Spinal injuries
If you or someone you love is injured in a car accident, you might be able to recover damages from the party or parties who caused the accident. Compensation may be sought to cover present and future medical bills, rehabilitative services such as physical therapy, damage to personal property, and lost wages, including future compensation. You might also be entitled to compensation for mental pain and suffering, loss of enjoyment of life, and loss of consortium.
Nebraska Law Concerning Car Accidents
Nebraska state law requires someone involved in a car accident that causes physical injuries or death or results in more than $1,000 in damages to file a police report within 10 days. Motorists are also required to carry the following minimum amount of liability insurance for each vehicle they own and operate:
- Bodily injury per person: $25,000
- Total bodily injury (multiple people): $50,000
- Property damages: $25,000
If you’re injured in a car accident, you have three options:
- File a claim through your insurance provider.
- File a third-party claim through the other driver’s insurance company.
- File a lawsuit.
For expert guidance following a car accident in Nebraska, contact Peters Law Firm today to schedule a confidential consultation.