If you were recently injured in a workplace accident, you may be entitled to workers’ compensation. Peters Law Firm has the knowledgeable workers’ compensation attorneys Omaha residents need to collect the damages they’re owed following a workplace accident.
Ready to have a team of skilled workers’ compensation attorneys litigate your case? Contact our team to set up a free consultation today!
Understanding Workers’ Compensation Law in Omaha, Beatrice & Surrounding Cities
Common Causes of Workers’ Comp Cases
Workplace injuries can take place for various reasons, some of which are not entirely the employee’s fault. The following are just some of the main causes that can lead to a workers’ compensation suit:
- Improper Material Handling
- Slip & Fall
- Tool-Related Accidents
- Continued Bodily Strain
- Collision with an Object
Workers may also be more at risk to experience a workplace injury if they are employed within specific industries, including:
- Oil & Gas
If you’ve suffered an injury at work, contact the team at Peters Law Firm to understand what options may be available to you.
Common Injuries in Workers’ Compensation Cases
Injuries that take place while on the job vary in severity. Below are a few of the most common injuries that occur in the workplace:
- Strains & Sprains
- Cuts & Punctures
- Scrapes & Bruises
- Broken Bones
In more severe cases, workers can be subject to amputation, dislocation, electric shock, and even crushing. Be sure to carefully document any medical treatment you receive as a result of your workplace injury as this will help strengthen your case and ability to claim damages.
Nebraska Law & Workers’ Compensation
In Nebraska, employees can file a workers’ compensation claim regardless of whether or not they were at fault, unless there is documented evidence that the employee was “willfully negligent.” The most important thing to keep in mind when filing a claim is that the injury must have been sustained due to the job’s required duties. After experiencing a workplace injury, workers should:
- Tell their employer immediately
- See a doctor as soon as possible
- Follow their doctor’s orders and provide medical notes to their employer
- Keep all receipts for medical expenses
- Consult with a workers’ compensation attorney
If you’re looking to file a claim following a workplace injury, contact the team at Peters Law Firm to schedule a free consultation and learn what legal options may be available.
Frequently Asked Questions About Workers’ Compensation Law
What damages can I claim in a workers’ compensation case?
The following damages can be claimed during a workers’ compensation suit:
- Lost Wages
- Medical Expenses
- Permanent Partial Loss of Member
- Permanent Partial Impairment to Whole Body
- Temporary Partial Benefits
- Vocational Rehabilitation
- Wrongful Death
When is an employee entitled to workers’ compensation benefits?
Employees may receive workers’ compensation benefits if they meet the following criteria:
- The injury was caused as a direct result of employment
- The employee was not willfully negligent, and workplace duties were typical of employer’s trade, and the injury occurred in Nebraska;
- OR employment was principally held in Nebraska, regardless of whether or not the injury occurred there;
- OR the contract to hire was performed in Nebraska and the employer was working in Nebraska, regardless of where the injury occurred
Peters Law Firm for Omaha’s Workers Compensation Attorneys
If you’ve recently experienced a workplace accident, the knowledgeable workers’ compensation attorneys at Peters Law Firm are here to help. We’ve helped clients in Omaha, Columbus, Lincoln, and surrounding areas collect the damages they’re owed following an on-the-job injury. Schedule your free consultation with our team and get started litigating your workers’ compensation case today!
We proudly serve the following areas:
- Boys Town
- La Vista
- Sioux City