If you or someone you love is injured in an automobile accident, one of the most important decisions you’ll need to make is whether to hire an attorney to help you obtain any monetary compensation you could be entitled to for injuries and damages.
Thousands of car crashes occur in Nebraska each year, and about a third of them result in some degree of injury. Slightly more than 200 result in fatalities. For the people involved, motor vehicle accidents result in a loss of time, property, and health.
Don’t try to handle the aftermath of a car accident alone. Peters Law Firm has provided many Bellevue drivers with the legal guidance they need to get the restitution they’re owed. Our priority is to see you justly compensated and made whole.
Contact Peters Law Firm online or call (712) 328-3157 today to schedule an initial consultation about your car accident.
Understanding Auto Accidents in Bellevue, NE
Over 14,000 people are injured in Nebraska auto accidents each year. Most accidents are the result of driver error and include:
- Distracted driving, including texting, talking with others in the car, applying makeup, eating, daydreaming, and making calls with a hand-held cell phone.
- Tired drivers are less observant and react slowly to road dangers. If they fall asleep and cause an incident, it can be fatal for everyone involved.
- Drunk driving causes slower reaction times. People who drive drunk can also be more reckless behind the wheel.
- Speeders put everyone on the road at great risk, as they frequently lose control of their vehicle, especially on curves or narrow roads.
- Road rage or aggressive driving includes tailgating, shouting at other drivers, and cutting off other vehicles.
- Poor road conditions like potholes, icy roads, wet surfaces with ponding, and construction work are challenging conditions that can lead to a car accident.
If you’re injured in an automobile accident, don’t delay talking to an attorney, as evidence collection and other accident-related factors are time-sensitive.
Schedule a consultation with a Peters Law Firm attorney today.
Common Car Accident Injuries
Car accident injuries range from minor scrapes and scratches to severe, lifelong disabilities. Some do not appear until days, weeks, or months after the accident. They can include:
- Broken bones
- Head injuries
- Internal bleeding
- Psychological trauma
- Scrapes, cuts & bruises
- Spinal injuries
If you or someone you love is injured in a car accident due to someone else’s negligence, you have the right to bring a personal injury claim against the negligent party. You’re entitled to seek compensation to cover present and future medical bills, lost wages, damage to personal property, and rehabilitative services such as physical therapy.
You might also be entitled to monetary compensation for mental pain and suffering, loss of enjoyment of life, and loss of consortium.
Nebraska Car Accident Laws
Nebraska state law requires anyone involved in an automobile accident that causes physical injuries or death (or results in more than $1,000 in damages) to file a police report within 10 days of the accident. Motorists must also carry minimum amounts of liability insurance for each vehicle they own and operate, including $25,000 for bodily injury per person, $50,000 for total bodily injury, and $25,000 in property damage.
If you or someone else is injured in a car accident, you have three options available to you:
- File a claim through your insurance provider.
- File a third-party claim through the other driver’s insurance company.
- File a lawsuit.
For expert guidance following a car accident in Nebraska, contact Peters Law Firm today to schedule a confidential consultation.